December 30, 2019
We are excited to announce API Simulator version 1.5 and the support for the HTTP/2 (HTTP2) protocol!!! After three release candidates, the official support for HTTP/2 is here.
To our knowledge, API Simulator is the first free API simulation tool to offer HTTP/2 in a stable release – not just some beta or a roadmap item – for running HTTP API simulations.
Moreover, the support for HTTP/2 includes all three ways to start an HTTP/2 connection: TLS with ALPN, prior-knowledge, and upgrade from HTTP/1.1.
Below is a brief recap of the HTTP/2 support in API Simulator as of version 1.5:
- Auto-detection and negotiation of the HTTP protocol – HTTP/1.x or HTTP/2 – and connection method. No additional startup arguments or switches required!
- HTTP/1.x and HTTP/2 requests on the same port number.
- HTTP and HTTPS on the same port number for HTTP/1.x and HTTP/2 requests.
- Starting HTTP/2 for “https” URIs with the TLS Application-Layer Protocol Negotiation (ALPN) extension.
- Starting HTTP/2 for “http” URIs without prior knowledge using upgrade from HTTP/1.1.
- Starting HTTP/2 with prior knowledge (a.k.a direct).
- Calling API Simulator as HTTP and HTTPS proxy and forwarding unmatched HTTP/2 requests over HTTP and HTTPS to the actual HTTP/2 server.
- Large file or content download with only few MB of memory works with HTTP/2 as it does with HTTP/1.x.
- HTTP/2 client with support for connecting to a HTTP/2 server using all of the methods: TLS with ALPN extension, prior-knowledge (a.k.a. direct), and upgrade from HTTP/1.1. You would not directly interact with the HTTP/2 client but it is used when forwarding unmatched HTTP/2 requests over HTTP and HTTPS to the actual HTTP/2 server.
- The same easy DSL (Domain-Specific Language) for modeling simlets.
- The size in the Access Log is always 0 (zero) for HTTP/2 responses.
- API Recorder only works with HTTP/1.x.
These limitations would not impact your ability to model and run API simulations over the HTTP/2 protocol.
Additional changes and fixes in this release:
- Added support for case-insensitive URI pattern matching.
- Fixed a problem with forwarding unmatched HTTP/1.x requests when using TLS/SSL to the actual server.
We keep on innovating and growing API Simulator for you! We’ve got your back when it comes to easy, feature-rich API simulations.
Let us know what you think at [feedback at APISimulator.com]. Many thanks for your interest and support!
Happy API Simulating!